Esalen Live Extended Education Program Application
Dear Future Participant,
Thank you for your interest in becoming a student and participating in the Live Extended Education Program at the Esalen Institute.
Participants have the opportunity to engage in a rigorous course of study with daily deep dives led by world-class faculty members and learn heartfully about the essential teachings and practices of Esalen.
As a cement to your studies into body and mind, you will be required to dedicate 26 hours of service each week in one of Esalen’s prearranged departments. The campus is rugged and students should anticipate robust physical activity.
Please consider the following criteria before applying:
1. Applicant must be at least 18 years old.
2. Applications and the required documents must be received at least 45 days prior to the start date of the program you are requesting for consideration to attend.
3. All participants must be able to handle physical labor involving lifting, bending, climbing stairs, and walking across the 26-acre property.
4. All participants must have the capacity to adapt to a new social and physical environment and integrate emotional work, while still meeting the demands of your weekly education and service schedule.
5. Esalen provides dorm-style housing, with three students to one room. Students are grouped primarily by gender, although multi-gender housing is possible.
6. Esalen is located in a very rural, rugged environment on the central California coast. Both staff and students live in close contact with one another with approximately 100 guests visiting every week. Privacy is at a minimum, and the closest major town is Monterey, which is approximately one hour away by car.
We wish you all the best on your journey!
As of September 3, 2021, all guests, students, staff, residents, and faculty must provide proof of vaccination. All guests and students will be required to provide proof of vaccination upon arrival. Guests and students who fail to provide proof of vaccination upon arrival will not be allowed on campus and will risk forfeiting any refund. Valid proof of vaccination includes: your original vaccine card or a photo of your original vaccine card. Please see our website for our most up-to-date COVID-19 policies.